The Lakeview Ranger District of the Fremont-Winema National Forest will begin prescribed fire operations starting the first week of October, weather conditions permitting.
Burnt Willow Units 4&5 – Located 6 miles East of Lakeview in the Burnt Creek area. 750 acres are expected to be treated.
The prescribed fire activities will:
- Remove hazardous fuels from earlier thinning treatments and brush.
- Improve firefighter safety during future suppression activities.
- Improve wildlife habitat in the area and create more resilient forest.
For visitor and firefighter safety:
- Watch for prescribed fire signs in the area
- Be aware of smoke in the area both during and after ignitions, which may affect visibility on area roads
- Increased fire personnel and vehicles in the area and additional Forest Service traffic
For more information, please contact Lakeview Ranger District Assistant Fire Management Officer Coley Neider at 541-219-2126 or Fire Information Officer Sarah Saarloos at 541-219-0515.
Prescribed burn updates are available online:
- South Central Oregon Fire Management Partnership blog: https://scofmp.blogspot.com/
- Lakeview Interagency Fire Center website: www.scofmp.org/rx_fire.shtml
- Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5165.
- Social Media: Twitter @scofmpfireinfo or Facebook http://facebook.com/scofmpfireinfo.
The South Central Oregon Fire Management Partnership (SCOFMP) is an interagency fire management program that consists of the Fremont-Winema National Forest, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Lakeview District, Sheldon-Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge Complex, Klamath Basin National Wildlife Refuge Complex, Crater Lake National Park and Klamath-Lake District Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF).