UPDATED INFORMATION @ 1000 6/6/17
The prescribed fire unit on the Klamath Ranger District has been CANCELED today due to unfavorable weather conditions.
The South Central Oregon Fire Management Partnership (SCOFMP) will begin prescribed fire operations Tuesday, June 6, 2017 if favorable weather conditions hold, on the Klamath Ranger District, Fremont-Winema National Forest.
Raccoon Units 206, 209, 215 – located West of Highway 140 in the Odessa Area. 170 acres of planned.
The prescribed fire activities will:
- Remove hazardous fuels and brush from previous thinning treatments.
- Improve firefighter safety during future suppression activities.
- Improve wildlife habitat in the area and create more resilient forests.
For visitor and firefighter safety:
- Watch for prescribed fire signs in the area.
- Be aware of smoke in the area both during and after ignitions, which may affect visibility on area roads.
- Watch for increased fire personnel and vehicles in the area and additional Forest Service traffic.
For more information, please contact Klamath Ranger District Assistant Fire Management Officer Philip Bordelon at 541-885-3413 or Fire Information Officer Sarah Saarloos at 541-219-0515.